Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Correcting A Fellow Christian

It was very difficult for me to sleep last night. My mind kept wandering to God's word. I am so hungry and eager to learn more from it. And it hit me, that I don't know all there is to know about the bible.  Matter of fact, if we can all be honest for a moment, not many of us do. Sure there are parts we know like the back of our hand; but what if one day you come across a scripture that rebukes something you  have been doing. Do you immediately say, hmm, that must be a bad behavior and I really need to stop? What if instead of finding it in scripture, a fellow Christian let you know? Would you be offended?

I've been thinking about this a lot the past few days. And you know, maybe last week I would have said "Yes, how dare they judge me! Like they know!" But, you know what? The bible tells us as Christians to correct our brother. I was thinking, why would the correct me? Surely it's not to display my faults for all to see and hear about. Nah. It's something much deeper than that. I think the reason our brothers and sisters correct us, is because the love us!

*GASP*

What if my inappropriate behavior leads another Christian astray and I don't even realize? If you catch it and tell me "Katie, that is inappropriate, the scripture says...." Well thank you very much! I pray and rid myself of inappropriate behavior, and instead of getting all upset and calling everyone I know about it. I might actually thank the person.

Now on the subject of correcting a fellow Christian. You might be scared and worried that they are going to be angry or upset with you. But the bible had instructions in Matthew. 18:15-17. First go  to them. Speak with love; because not everyone realizes if you are correcting them you must love them. If they refuse to believe you then go and find one or two others to come with you. (Probably the best if this was your leadership.) And tell them again. If they still don't believe you it says to separate yourself from them. Not out of anger, though. I'm still a bit unsure on how to do this.

And I know a lot of us have problems if the person who corrects us doesn't have their life quite as straight as we think it ought to be. It might make you upset, but being polite is always a key. Because you do not want to cause division. And if you have questions, maybe ask your pastor or pray about it. Don't go in there saying "So and so corrected me and I just don't think it's right!" Remember to speak love. Say, "I was corrected by a brother or sister, and I'm unsure if I agree. Do you mind helping me? Maybe I haven't read it in scripture yet."

But like I said, I know it's difficult. But you know what? I'm going to stop being so easily offended by my brothers and sisters and start loving them instead.

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Just wanted to pop by and let you know your blog was featured on this week’s Wednesday Weekly Review #23! (http://blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com/2013/03/wednesday-weekly-review-23.html) Congrats!! Be sure to stop by ad grab an I was Featured Button!! (http://blueeyedbeautyblogg.blogspot.com/p/grab-button.html)

    Helen
    Blue Eyed Beauty Blog
    Exercise Encouragement Group Blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I wanted to let you know I moved the Apostolicl Pentecostal Bloggers list from my blog to it's own blog. I also created a new sidebar button which links to the new list so if you want to stop by and grab the new code to update your button that'd be great! You can check it all out here: http://apeverything.blogspot.com/

      Delete
  2. Thank you for posting this. You will go far in blogging! I am your newest follower! I am so glad I found someone of like faith! I would love for you to come a visit my blog wonderfullymessymom.blogspot.com
    have a blessed day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi! I love your blog, I wanted to invite you to check out my new modest boutique - www.dreaminginpinkboutique.com We have modest, chic, and affordable clothing, Thanks and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just love them, like you said. We all fall short of the Glory of God. Only the Lord knows our hearts, and I encourage you to keep on the firing line Sister. Just keep being a warrior on your knees in Jesus name. I've been in similar situations, and at one point the Lord Jesus just said "And whosoever shall not receive you, nor hear your words, when ye depart out of that house or city, shake off the dust of your feet." - Matthew 10:14 (KJV)

    However if they are right, here are two scriptures I remind myself of when I'm corrected. It is always wise to pray about the correction, and see if it is indeed biblical.

    "For whom the Lord loveth he chasteneth, and scourgeth every son whom he receiveth.

    If ye endure chastening, God dealeth with you as with sons; for what son is he whom the father chasteneth not?"

    -Hebrews 12:6-7 {KJV)

    I've had my fair share of Holy Ghost whoopings in Jesus name, but if it's outside of the Bible or you don't understand why, then bring it to the leaders. That's their positional anointing in Jesus name.

    Keep on posting Sister, I'm a new follower of the blog. I see you have not posted in awhile, but despite the time frame, any posts about the Oneness of Jesus Christ will always bring men to Him at anytime. It's never about the views or followers but the message. Preach it Sister!
    I'm a new blogger, I pray you drop by and say Hi. God bless you, in Jesus name.
    https://amandaforjesus.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete